CALL FOR ENTRIES
We are seeking submissions for possible publication in 1000 Incredible Cosplay and Costume Ideas, an upcoming book by Dr. Grymm (Joey Marsocci), Allison DeBlasio and Yaya Han.
Publication date: April 2013
Comic book, Sci-Fi, and Anime conventions have been around since the 1930's. With those conventions come the ultimate fans, those who Cosplay. Joey Marsocci and Allison DeBlasio of Dr. Grymm Laboratories, authors of the immensely popular 1000 Steampunk Creations (Quarry Books, 2011), in collaboration with Internationally acclaimed cosplayer Yaya Han, are putting out a call to artists to submit their most amazing cosplay photographs for compilation into exciting upcoming book.
We are seeking submissions for the following categories:
Anime & Manga
We are not just looking for the best in each category, but for unique, dynamic, and high quality photography of characters and props.
All costume and props must belong to the contributor and be their unique work. Photos submitted by the photographer must be submitted along with a model release and the name and country of origin of all subjects. We are looking for sophisticated images to help us elevate the world of cosplay. If you would like to submit photos taken at conventions, please make sure the backgrounds are free of clutter, crowds, and other patrons. We will accept Photoshop effects when appropriate.
1. Email 1000@DrGrymmLaboratories.net or firstname.lastname@example.org, and either include a link to your website/online portfolio for our review, or attach no more than 4 low-res JPEG images of your work (each file should be under 1 MB). Name each attachment with your last name, and the numbers 1-4.
2. If your low-resolution images are provisionally accepted, you will follow the below instructions on how to upload the corresponding high resolution files, and you will be required to fill out a Grant of Rights form allowing the publisher the permission to print your images. At this time, we may invite you to submit an additional 6 high-res images, for a total of no more than 10 photos/costumes entered into the final jurying round.
High Res photo submission guidelines:
1. Any type of costume is welcome!!
2. Submit 1 - 2 photos per costume, up to 10 costume total. It's better to submit too many costumes than not enough..
3. All images must be at least 4.5 x 5.75 inches at 300 dpi (or 1400 x 1750 pixels) - jpeg, tiff files etc.
4. Submit the high res images through the 1000 Incredible Cosplay Ideas Dropbox: dropbox.yousendit.com/1000Cosp…
5. Email 1000@DrGrymmLaboratories.net your image list (keep it simple, list of each file and what the character name and source materials are)
6. Sign/scan/email 1000@DrGrymmLaboratories.net your Grant of rights and Model relase when applicable.THESE WILL BE GIVEN TO YOU VIA EMAIL ALONG WITH YOUR ACCEPTED SUBMISSIONS
3. 1000 images will be selected for publication. If selected, you will not be required to provide any how-to instructions, but you will need to briefly describe your costume.
Published contributors will be credited on the pages where their image(s) appear, as well as in the artist directory. Contributors will also have the opportunity to purchase copies of the book at a 50% discount.
Deadline: AUGUST 31st, 2012. Acceptance begins immediately: early submissions are encouraged.
Personal Statement from Yaya:
Hi everyone! I just would like to re-iterate what a great project this is. Even though there is no monetary compensation, I believe this book is worth being a part of. Why? Because the cosplay scene is growing fast and shifting toward the mainstream. But right now the public media still has huge misconceptions about cosplayers as fetishists, booth babes, and faux geeks.
We need to set the record straight, by giving the mainstream media a collection of incredible costumes that are hand/home made, with passion and creativity. I want to be a part of "1000 Incredible Cosplay and Costume Ideas" because I know it can help non-geeks and mass media understand what WE are all about, and what is means to be a cosplayer. I believe this book can serve as a guideline to Cosplay for many years to come. So please read the guidelines and SUBMIT! Be a part of Cosplay History!"
Any questions, comment below! I'll answer to the best of my abilities!